Founded by brothers Shane and Jack in 2002, COOMBES have grown into a leading supplier of vegetation management, practical environmental support, and specialist plant hire services. As a Principal Contractor and POS licence holder they work directly alongside Network Rail and have built an incredible industry reputation by constantly delivering work to the highest standard. Their experienced management, planning and multi-disciplinary delivery teams - combined with an expanding fleet of latest on-track plant and equipment – allows them to deliver a level of responsiveness and flexibility that is second to none.
COOMBES have established relationships and excellent growth opportunities, combined with the UK’s significant infrastructure investment plans, this is an ideal time to join the business. The ambition is to grow rail civils revenue by delivering both minor and capital works, with an increasing percentage of prime work. Recruiting an excellent Rail Civils Director is critical to success.
Reporting to the Managing Director, you will lead the strategic development, operation, and growth of the rail civils function. Providing engineering management and specialist functional support to bid teams, contract/project managers and site teams undertaking rail civils work, you will drive continuous improvement and successful, high quality contract delivery. With success in rail, there will also be opportunities to diversify into other civils work in future.
This is both a strategic and operational role that will suit an individual with agility, ambition and a desire to develop the sector with the following key tasks:
- Initiate growth through business development of the rail civil engineering offering.
- Provide leadership, acting as a Company ambassador in all internal and external interactions.
- Take a national lead for best practice, developing and improving processes and systems.
- Be skilled in finding, winning, then supporting the delivery of civils work.
- Ensure that the rail civils function provides assured delivery and maximum value against the time, cost, quality and safety requirements of the business unit.
- Put health & safety at the forefront of everything you do, ensuring compliance, social responsibility and service quality for the customer.
A self-starter, you will be accountable and driven to own delivery in rail civils, building capability as the you grow the function. Your core attributes will include:
- Detailed understanding of contractual risk and compliance in the rail sector.
- Ideally a Chartered Civil or Structural Engineer.
- Strong commercial acumen with excellent negotiation skills.
- A rail industry network with the ability to build relationships with key potential clients.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with internal teams and external clients.
In line with GDPR, we ask that you do NOT send us any information that can identify children or any of your Sensitive Personal Data (racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, data concerning health or sex life and sexual orientation, genetic and/or biometric data) in your CV and application documentation. Following this notice, any inclusion of your Sensitive Personal Data in your CV/application documentation will be understood by us as your express consent to process this information going forward. Please also remember to not mention anyone’s information or details (e.g., referees)who have not previously agreed to their inclusion.